Friday, March 04, 2005

my english poem debut (yikes, do you dare to read?)

Summer


Outside, on trunks of ancient cedars
Cicadas generate heat
Incessant throbs, saps converted
Stir the August air

In thinning fume of incense
Burnt for prayer at dawn, hours ago
Buddha listens
For the last drop of elixir
Travel through the tiny veins of an insect
On the Sixty-third cedar from the temple

Silence
To mourn the first death of the afternoon
A beat of my heart
Then resume the cicadas
Buddha smiles, unfathomable
After centuries of summers and winters

Radiator rattle in stairwell
Awakens me
To the subzero night of Chicago
A life away

2 Comments:

At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very nice poem. Thank you for posting it. I try to write both poetry and fiction myself. I think my fiction is better than my poetry.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger uBookworm said...

Thanks a lot, gaijin! (I suppose you've been to Japan?) Yeah, it is such a fulfilling experience to try to be creative, and especially to share the works in progress for constructive criticism. Do you post your works on line?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home